Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My First Botanical Expedition


With the advent of fall and winter around the corner I thought I would share with you the flowers of mid to late spring.

My mommy and daddy took me for a walk, in late June, up to Soda Mountain which is in the Siskiyou Range close to where we live. There were lots of pretty flowers so I thought I would go ahead and document the flowers I saw so that I could share them with you.

The first flowers I saw were everywhere in the places that got a lot of sun. This is a little hard to determine exactly what Indian Paintbrush variety but I believe it is Castilleja Pruinosa.It’s a very pretty and prolific flower found in the mountains.  Not very big and it doesn’t have any smell.  Here’s what they look like when they cover a hillsidepaintbrush hillside
Another pretty purple flower we met on the path was Delphinium Menziesii (Menzies’ Larkspur).  I didn’t get a very clear picture of it, but what I did get I post below
coastal larkspur
The next bunch of flowers I saw I’m not entirely sure of.  As best I can tell they would be referred to as Linanthus Nuttallii (Nuttall’s Linanthus).lianthus nuttalliiThere is a possibility that I have misidentified this one and that it is instead Phlox Hoodii (Hood’s Phlox).  With the hillsides covered with these there is a particular beauty in the simplicity of the symmetrical flowers, simple color, and profusion of blooms.
I’m really not sure of the next bunch of flowers.  I like them and that is about all I know of them.  If any of you botanists out there might know, share with the rest of us.white flowers
I believe the next flower is a Trillium.  I have no proof.  It could be an alien plant from outer space as far as I know.  It has three really large leaves and a small flower in the middle.trillium

2 comments: